Movie News

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Chris's Review Roundup (OCT - JAN)


When I am not posting articles here at North/South Film, I also cover film news and events in New Orleans for several different outlets, mainly examiner.com. After putting in my dues for a couple of years, I finally started getting invited to local press screenings and Hollywood studio-backed events.

Most of the movies I get to review are indie, foreign, and documentaries, but every now and then, I get to attend advanced screenings of the big-name films – and  I have posted those reviews on North/South (The Monuments Men, Lone Survivor, Inside Llewyn Davis, American Hustle, etc.).

But instead of double-posting all my reviews both here and there, I decided to do a monthly film review round-up with links to all my published reviews in one post. I have admittedly slacked off (and I know everyone has been waiting anxiously for some more of my reviews), so here is a new set, including a few Oscar nominated films worth checking out as well.

Lots of these movies are still in theaters or can be seen On Demand/DVD. So if you would like to read one, some, or all of them . . . check out the reviews after the jump (and thanks for reading!):


(CLICK THE ORANGE HIGHLIGHTED LINKS TO READ EACH REVIEW)


 

 


The Broken Circle Breakdown 
( * * * * * out of 5 stars) 

Academy Award nominee for Best Foreign Film


 

 

 

 

 


Cutie and the Boxer 
( * * * * out of 5 stars)

Academy Award Nominee for Best Documentary










Short Term 12
( * * * * * out of 5 stars)

One of my absolute favorite films of the year







 





The Selfish Giant
( * * * * ½ out of 5 stars)

A wonderful, low-key British indie that got lots of love at international film festivals






 



The Rocket
( * * * ½ out of 5 stars)

Australia's official submission to the Academy Awards for Best Foreign Film






 



The Armstrong Lie
( * * * out of 5 stars)

Shortlisted for Best Documentary Oscar, but did not make it into the final five nominations








Solomon Northup’s Odyssey
( * * ½ out of 5 stars)

1984 made-for-TV (PBS) movie adaptation of 12 Years a Slave


- and - 

Read my review of 12 Years a Slave ( * * * * * out of 5 stars) and my pick for Best Film of 2013 here: 

 




Escape from Tomorrow
( * * * out of 5 stars)

The much buzzed about micro-indie that was filmed in secret/illegally at Disney theme parks





 



Broadway Idiot
( * * * * out of 5 stars)

A behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the American Idiot stage musical based on the album by punk rock band Green Day





 



 
CBGB
( * * out of 5 stars)

A dramatization of the founding and rise of the infamous CBGB music club in 1970s and 80s New York




 



Informant
( * * * out of 5 stars)

My review and interview with the director on his documentary about radical left-wing activist turned FBI informant, Brandon Darby









You can read all my film reviews and articles at:
 


No comments:

Post a Comment