Movie News

Thursday, July 18, 2013

Top 10 Best Movie/Video Game Combos--Part III: #5-1


Dan Here:

It's part three of a three-part series where I try to find the Best Movie and Video Game Combination.

Read Part I here, which contains all of the search criteria and the Combos that received Dishonorable Mentions.

Read Part II here, which is Numbers 10-6 On The List


The Top 5 Best Movie and Video Game Combination List:


#5. -TIE-  TOY STORY/Toy Story (Sega, SNES) and ALADDIN/Aladdin (Sega)





Two classic movies and two,16-bit-console gems.
The films are impeccable.
They have great jokes for adults and kids and both games were fun, but challenging.
TOY STORY started the Pixar Animation Revolution and ALADDIN is easily one of the best Disney films ever released. It's got good songs (I still listen to "Prince Ali" now and then) and Robin Williams did his thing as the Genie. 'The graphics on 'Toy Story' were impressive and 'Aladdin' had an awesome Level-Skip Code that I got from Disney Adventures Magazine. 
The 1990s were awesome.

(Note: I originally included 'Aladdin' for Super Nintendo as well, but was reminded that it was different (and not as good as the Sega game) h/t to @Syd_Lexia).

Movies: 100/100
Games: 90/100
Total Scores: 190/200



#4. THE AVENGERS and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (Playstation2)



I dunno, if this fits perfectly within the rules, but I made up the rules, so I'll allow it.
AVENGERS was a great ensemble piece and so is 'Marvel Vs. Capcom 2'.
I got introduced to this game in college and spent more than a few hours playing it.
Probably could have had a Minor in Video Games between this and NCAA Football.
It's a Tag-Team Fighting Game and is like Street Fighter on steroids.

I was never great at the game, but one time I did manage to take my best Team (3 Guiles, so cheap and dirty, I know) and defeat a kid who was basically Lucas Barton from THE WIZARD. He could beat the game without losing a round and most of the time without taking a hit. It was easily one of my greatest collegiate achievements. Also, very cool that the Avengers in the game make a great team. Captain America, Iron Man and Hulk is a fierce squad. Combo all of that fun with a great movie like THE AVENGERS and you've made it into the Top 5.

Movie: 95/100
Game: 98/100
Total Score: 193/200


#3. BATMAN and Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3, XBOX 360)





I still believe Tim Burton's BATMAN is the greatest Comic Book Movie ever.
It is also one of the films that made me love film.
I had the above poster, the trading cards, the toys, the book, the stickers and the soundtrack.
It was dark, literally and figuratively, and I loved every second of it.
I know people think Christopher Nolan's Batman series was groundbreaking, but it cannot top what Burton was able to accomplish. There is no DARK KNIGHT without BATMAN.
This film exploded in 1989.
It outgrossed INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE, BACK TO THE FUTURE II, GHOSTBUSTERS II and LETHAL WEAPON 2. And it was by a lot. 
BATMAN is #50 on the all-time adjusted-gross list.

The game, 'Batman: Arkham Asylum' is also incredible.
It was the first new, non-sports game I played in a long time and I was blown away.
Everyone always wanted to play through a Batman Movie.
'Arkham Asylum' let's you do it.

Movie: 100/100
Game: 96/100
Total Score: 196/200



#2. GOLDENEYE and Goldeneye (N64)




GOLDENEYE.
Probably the best Bond Movie of recent memory (yes, it's better than the Daniel Craig films).
It was Pierce Brosnan's first time as 007 and it reintroduced a great character that many had written off. I liked the origin story aspect and Sean Bean as 006. Also, it's only the second film with Famke Janssen, who was super sexy and scary as Xenia Onatopp.

Then we've got 'Goldeneye' for the Nintendo 64.
Possibly the greatest Video Game ever made. (It's ranked in the Top 10 of every list I could find)
I don't know how many days in total I've played 'Goldeneye', but it definitely adds up to months.
The game is amazing and the multiplayer is even better. 
Just watch out for those proximity mines.

Movie: 97/100
Game: 100/100
Total Score: 197/200



#1. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and TMNT (Arcade)/Turtles In Time (SNES)









TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES is a truly impressive film.
It's aimed a kids, but it is gritty and smart and it's all done without computer animation.
There is something about shooting on location or on large sets that the heavily digitized movies of today cannot match. You can do so much with a computer now that viewers become desensitized to the greatness of the effects. 

Movies like NINJA TURTLES are great because they seem real and (semi) tangible to audiences.
I still wish I could have gone to the Foot's Headquarters, skateboarded, played video games and had Sam Rockwell offer me cigarettes. I wouldn't have joined The Foot, but I would have hung out.
Even at 93 minutes it's an epic on the grandest scale and I love it.


Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game is a classic four player action arcade game. Just like 'The Simpson Arcade', 'X-Men: Arcade' it was made by Konami, who perfected the four player battle engine. You and your friends could each pick a Turtle (Donatello and Leonardo are by far the best) and go after The Shredder. I dropped more quarters in this game than any other in my life. My dream is to own a Turtles Arcade Game. It's my white whale. Absolutely classic.




Another perfect game from the Turtles Franchise in 'Turtles IV: Turtles In Time'.
It was really the first great Turtles console game.
This game was also released in the arcade as the sequel to the first game,
I remember when my friend rented a Super Nintendo (Yup, rented the system and the games), we played 'Turtles In Time' for two straight days and never even tried the other games he rented. Konami mastered the Turtles games and I am forever grateful.

Movie: 100/100
Games: 100/100
Total Score: 200/200


That's it!

Read Part I here, which contains all of the Search Criteria and the Dishonorable Mentions.
Read Part II here, which is Numbers 10-6 On The List

The Top 10 Movie/ Video Game Combinations:

#10. 'DuckTales: The Movie- Treasure Of The Lost Lamp' and "DuckTales" (Nintendo)
#9.  RESIDENT EVIL and "Resident Evil 2" (Playstation and N64)
#8. 'The Lord Of The Rings: The Two Towers' and "LOTR: The Two Towers' (PS2)
#7. TERMINATOR 2 and "Terminator 2: The Arcade Game" (Arcade)
#6. MORTAL KOMBAT and "Mortal Kombat 2" (Arcade, Sega, SNES)
#5. -TIE-  TOY STORY/Toy Story (Sega, SNES) and ALADDIN/Aladdin (Sega, SNES)
#4. THE AVENGERS and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (Playstation2)
#3. BATMAN and Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3, XBOX 360)
#2. GOLDENEYE and Goldeneye (N64)
#1. TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES and TMNT (Arcade)/Turtles In Time (SNES)


Thanks for Reading and Please Follow Us On Twitter For Daily Movie News: @NorthSouthFilm

No comments:

Post a Comment