Movie News

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Dan's Discs 5/7/13--Tom Cruise Time!


With the home release of JACK REACHER today, I thought we'd talk Tom Cruise for a minute.
I never saw REACHER, but the trailer entertained me very much.
I really thought it was an F-You to the haters.
At first I thought it was a "Funny Or Die" video, but when I realized it was real, I had to applaud.
It's an Opus on Everything Cruise.
It's so absurd.
So ridiculous.
Just watch it and refresh your memory:


By the time he gives the hat back to the guy, I was on the floor.
I have two favorite parts:
#1. is when he calls the kidnapper back and says, "On second thought, I'd like to kill you."
#2. is when the cards say, "THE LAW HAS LIMITS" "HE DOES NOT".
LOL!
The whole thing reminds me of ROAD HOUSE.
It is too good to be unintentional comedy, it has to be satire.
It was always my belief about ROAD HOUSE, later confirmed by Rowdy Herrington's Commentary.

People hate on Cruise for a variety of reasons, but I will tell you one thing:
He is still here and he is still huge.
The web was going nuts when it was announced he'd be back for MISSION IMPOSSIBLE 5.
(AICN story about that here)
The guy is not a puppet, he is the puppet master.
He knows some people will be laughing at him, but a lot of others ($) will be there, Opening Day.





The guy has done more with 41 acting credits than anybody, ever.
He put together possibly the greatest, long string of features, ever.
Don't believe me?
Here it is, in order:
TOP GUN, COLOR OF MONEY, COCKTAIL, RAIN MAN, BORN ON THE FOURTH OF JULY, DAYS OF THUNDER, FAR AND AWAY, A FEW GOOD MEN, THE FIRM, INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE, MISSION IMPOSSIBLE, JERRY MAGUIRE.
That's 12 hugely successful and awesome movies, in a row, over a 10 year span.
And your favorite Cruise Movie might not even be on that list.

One of my favorite Cruise stories goes like this:
Went to see WAR OF THE WORLDS on Opening Day.
Made everybody in my group get tickets early.
The radio station is there, broadcasting live from the "big opening".
We get there and there are maybe, 10 other people in the theater.
Movie starts.
Morgan Freeman launches into an off-screen monologue and Cruise's name appears on screen:
Without hesitation, I yelled out, "DO IT TO 'EM CRUISEY!"
The audience (all 16 of us), erupted in laughter.
Nobody got to hear what was said in the monologue and nobody cared.
It was the shared experience of being hyped for a Cruise Movie.
That's the only reason anybody showed up and the only reason WAR ever made $264 million.

Movies like KNIGHT AND DAY and JACK REACHER are the next act for Cruise.
The world still loves this guy and he has earned it.

So, Do It To 'Em Cruisey!
Do It To 'Em Forever.


--The North (@DannyGetHot)

No comments:

Post a Comment